Airfare & Tuition Scholarships

Tuition Scholarships

$3,000 - $4,500 tuition scholarship (for Americans & Canadians)
$500 tuition scholarship (for UK residents)

To be eligible for MASA, you need to be:

  1. a Jewish man or woman from any country (except Israel),
  2. 18 - 30 years old,
  3. Studying in Israel for at least 5 consecutive months, and
  4. not be Israeli, and
  5. attending a MASA approved program.

$ Varying Amounts - airfare and tuition scholarships

Rabbi Benzion Klatzko, National Director of College Outreach, offers airfare and tuition scholarships for students to go to Israel on various Jewish experience trips, including touring, ulpan, tzedek trips offered by many organizations. If a student is looking for a Jewish experience trip and is unsure of their options, Rabbi Klatzko will discuss it with the student and customize a trip that will meet the need and desire of each student.

In addition, Rabbi Klatzko offers scholarships to those students that have already been on a Jewish experience trip and now want to return and study in select Yeshivot or Seminaries in or around Jerusalem. The amount of the tuition scholarship depends on the need.

To apply, email Rabbi Klatzko directly at [email protected].

$400 tuition scholarship

Sponsored by Jeff Seidel, this scholarship has an easy online application.

To qualify, you need to:

  1. study in Israel at a yeshiva or a seminary for at least 9 months, and
  2. minimal background in Jewish observance or education.
Apply online here.

$3,500 tuition scholarship

To qualify, you need to:

  1. be a high school graduate,
  2. not currently be in Israel,
  3. intend to study Torah at a yeshiva or seminary in Israel, and
  4. show "academic promise in religious studies." - From their Web site
Apply online or email Dr. Wally Greene (manager of the scholarship).

$250 - $3,000 tuition scholarship

In the United States, most cities have a location Jewish Federation that gives out scholarships. Each Federation has its own requirements for scholarships.

To apply, contact your location Federation. To locate your local federation, go to:

  1. The Federations of North America's Jewish Finder Web site.

QUICK TIP: How to ACTUALLY Get Money from Your Federation
The only way to get money from your federation is TO CALL their office. DO NOT email them if you want to get a scholarship.

When you call the Federation, ask to speak with the Financial Aid Director or to the person in charge of scholarships. Explain your situation to them (i.e. you're 25, you want to study at a seminary or yeshiva in Israel, you don't have any money, etc.). Ask them if you're eligible to apply to any of their scholarships.

If they have a scholarship that you're eligible for, they'll either email you an application to fill out or send you to their Web site where you can fill out the online application.

$21,000 tuition & living scholarship

Just about the greatest thing since sliced bread, if you get this fellowship, you're sitting pretty for a year.

To be eligible, you need to be an American or a Canadian between the ages of 22 and 35. You CANNOT:

  1. be working or plan to work in a Jewish field, or
  2. have made aliyah.

In order to apply, you need to submit:

  1. An application, which you can download here.
  2. A resume.
  3. Official transcripts from any institution where a degree was received.
  4. A recent photograph of yourself.
  5. 3 letters of recommendation. You can download the reference form here.

Your Seminary or Yeshiva

Each seminary and yeshiva has some type of scholarship. There are usually 3 types of scholarships that they offer:

  1. A regular scholarship

  2. Moral obligation is a fancy word for a loan. With a moral obligation, you don't pay anything while you're in seminary or yeshiva, but when you leave Israel and begin working, you agree (i.e. you are morally obligated) to pay the school back. Whatever you can afford to pay, whether it's $5/month or $100/month, that's what you pay back.

    Many, many seminary and yeshiva students choose this option. In fact, a lot of seminary and yeshiva students use their tzedakah (charity) money when they start working to pay off their moral obligation. The reason they do is is that since technically the money they are sending is not benefiting them (since they are no longer learning), they're basically paying for another student to attend the school. Therefore, it's tzedakah.

  3. Work Study: In exchange for doing work at your yeshiva or seminary (i.e. washing dishes, organizing the library, etc.), you get the equivalent of $5/hour or $10/hour off of your tuition. A lot of students opt for work study as a way of reducing their tuition.

Your Local Rabbi, Synagogue, or Kollel
$150 - $500 tuition and airfare scholarship

Most Rabbis, synagogues, or kollels have money set aside somewhere to help students get to Israel. You won't find this scholarship listed on their Web site or in their brochures. However, make sure to ask your Rabbi if he or someone he knows can help you pay for your trip. They usually have a fund or know someone who can help you pay for part of your studies in Israel.

Bureau of Jewish Education
$ Varying Amounts - airfare & tuition scholarships

In the United States, many cities have a Bureau of Jewish Education that gives out scholarships. Each of the Bureaus below offer scholarships to study at a seminary or yeshiva in Israel. Contact them directly for information.

PLEASE NOTE: The Bureaus of Jewish Education listed below only give scholarships to people who are located in and or around their city. Please do not contact them if you're from a different area.

  • Buffalo, NY: If you're in the Buffalo area, to apply for the Israel Scholarship Fund, contact the Foundation of Jewish Philanthropies by clicking this link to request an application.
  • Cleveland, OH: If you're in the Cleveland area, please contact Helen Wolf, Israel Programs Director, (216) 371-0446.
  • Indianapolis, IN: If you're in the Indianapolis area, contact their office to see what scholarships they offer: (317) 255-3124.
  • Phoenix, AZ: If you're in the Phoenix area, contact the Israel Center at: [email protected] or (480) 634-4900, ext. 1119.
  • Rhode Island: Grants and scholarships are available for Greater Rhode Island residents for high school or college educational programs in Israel. Please contact Larry Katz for more information: (401) 421-5999, ext. 179, or [email protected].

Additional Scholarships
Additional scholarships available

List of Additional Scholarship Resources